Clean energy revolution
  • What makes Aira different?
  • Heat pumps
  • Solar panels
  • Home insulation
  • Costs & savings
  • FAQs
  • About Aira
  • Contact Aira
  • Aira news
  • Fresh Aira thinking
  • Careers
Get a quote

Frequently asked questions

Quick links to

About heat pumps

About heat pumps

An air source heat pump takes the free air from outside your home and turns it into energy to heat your rooms and water. Designed to work in temperatures as low as -20 degrees celsius, they act as a more sustainable and cost-effective alternative to traditional heating systems.

Air source heat pumps are four times more efficient than gas boilers, emit 75% less carbon and are much more environmentally friendly. Switching to a heat pump will help you save on your energy bills. If you don't have any other gas appliances in your home, you pay another gas bill ever again.

There are a number of reasons why a heat pump is a worthwhile investment:

  • Heat pumps are four times more efficient than boilers, helping reduce your energy bills. 
  • They also have an average life span of 18 years (almost double that of a typical gas boiler).
  • They are compatible with both underfloor heating and radiators.
  • You can claim the £7,500 government grant and 0% VAT
  • Heat pumps produce 75% fewer emissions and are therefore much more environmentally-friendly than traditional heating systems.

Heat pumps create 75% of their energy from free outside air so you can safeguard yourself against fluctuations in energy prices. If you don't have any other gas appliances in your home, you'll never have to pay another energy bill again.

The outdoor unit of the heat pump does make some noise, although it is only as loud as your refrigerator or a quiet washing machine.

The indoor parts of the heat pump - the circulation pump and immersion heater - might make a very small noise, but it will be no louder than a whisper.

Yes your Aira heat pump will produce more than enough for the average household's needs.

A heat pump can last over 18 years. Your package includes our Aira Comfort Guarantee at no extra cost. This means you’re guaranteed 20 degree warmth on even the coldest day of the year – or we’ll come straight out to fix it. And with our remote servicing tool, we're always on hand to help you with any maintenance needs.

Heat pumps are four times more efficient than a gas boiler. For every 1kW energy put in, you get around 4kW out, compared to a boiler where you only get 0.9 kW out.

Heat pumps also represent better value for money, because they are much easier to maintain and last longer. They can last over 18 years – that's 25% longer than gas boilers (based on average lifetime of a boiler of 10-15 years).

You can save 75% of your carbon emissions by switching to a heat pump. Installing a heat pump is the most important change a household can make to reduce its CO2 emissions and requires the least effort (compared to changes to long-distance travel, travelling and eating habits).

Heat pumps can provide effective heating in temperatures as low as -25 degrees celsius. And because your package includes our Aira Comfort Guarantee at no extra cost, you’re guaranteed 20 degree celsius cosiness on even the coldest day of the year – or we’ll come straight out to fix it.

Even though a heat pump takes energy from the air, the process of turning that energy into heat for your home requires a small amount of electricity. 75% of the energy heat pumps use is generated entirely by free outside air while the remaining 25% is generated by your household electricity supply.

The quantity of heat delivered into your home is much greater than the quantity of electricity used to power the heat pump. This makes it much more sustainable, and cost effective, than a boiler.

Yes. You will need to use it for hot water production during the warmer months, but it will use much less energy than in the winter because your heating will be turned off.

kWH stands for kilowatt hour. To break this down, Watt is the unit of measure for power, and calculates how much energy it takes to perform a certain job per unit of time – from heating water for the shower to charging a mobile phone. 1000 watts = 1 kilowatt.

A kilowatt hour (kWh) is a measure of how much energy you’re using per hour. One kilowatt hour is enough energy to run your toaster or a small dishwasher for one hour. Your energy bill will tell you how many kilowatt hours all your electrical appliances have used each month.

Aira heat pumps

We currently partner with Valliant, who manufacture the heat pumps in Remscheid, Germany.

Approximately 80% of the heat pump is steel. The other 20% is made up of plastic, insulation materials, electronics and refrigerant.

Yes. Heat pumps and underfloor heating are highly compatible. Underfloor heating covers a greater surface area and can therefore run at lower temperatures, helping your heat pump to run more efficiently.

After switching to a heat pump, you will have the same hot water temperature in your home as before.

Our Aira Comfort Guarantee promises heating up to 20 degrees, even on the coldest day of the year.

An air source heat pump is a sealed unit.

An air source heat pump is a sealed unit designed to withstand all weather conditions.

We don't recommend making any alterations to your heat pump as this will affect the product warranty.


We'll ask some intial questions to check your home is suitable for a heat pump (70% of homes are). We will then help you claim this grant and guide you through the application. We will provide all the support and information you'd need from the initial application to the day of the installation.

An air source heat pump is much more durable than a gas boiler. It has a longer life span, too. Our heat pumps come with a 10 Year Comfort Guarantee that includes all servicing, maintenance and insurance. This means if you do experience any issues within this period, we will fix them free of charge.

The monthly repayment plan is a personal loan. So if you sell your house, you will still be responsible for making the repayments. As installing a heat pump could increase the value of your home, it's possible  you will make the money back through your sale.

The installation process

We'll get the ball rolling with a quick call to find out if your home is already heat pump ready. We will discuss various aspects of your property, such as the size of your home and when it was built. Then we will arrange for one of our Aira Experts to visit you  for a home energy assessment.

Our home assessments usually take an hour and a half. Our time together will be extra productive if you can arrange for us to have: 

  • Easy access to every room, including a loft if you have one
  • Your recent energy bills 
  • Access to your boiler and electrical board

Our Energy Experts will survey your home and assess features such as insulation, thickness of walls and size of windows to calculate the best energy saving solution for your home.

On your scheduled installation day, our Aira technicians will arrive at your property and explain the process before getting started. Installation shouldn't take more than a few days and we make every effort to minimise disruption throughout.

In most cases, we will be able to change your heating equipment within a day and have hot water production up and running rapidly. This means that you'll only be without hot water for about 8-10 hours.

You will need to be at home on the first day of installation, so that our Aira Experts can explain the process to you and answer any questions you might have. After that, they'll simply get on with the job in the least intrusive way possible.

We offer hassle-free installation within four weeks of approving your quote.

Installation is usually complete in less than two days. If we think your installation might take longer, we will let you know.

The Aira engineers will provide simple tips for maintaining your air source heat pump.

Yes our indoor unit can be installed in a garage, but our experts will recommend the best location of the unit after visiting your home.

There are times when our Energy Experts may recommend you make changes to your current central heating system. For example, larger radiators have more surface area to emit the lower levels of heat that pumps deliver over longer periods of time versus a gas boiler's higher temperatures. This will all be discussed with you during your home energy assessment and if anything additional is required, we will take care of it for you as part of our Aira all-inclusive plan.

A heat pump will work far more efficiently if your home is well-insulated. Not every home will need insulation but if it is required, we will take care of it for you as part of our Aira all-inclusive plan. This will all be discussed with you during your home energy assessment.

When getting a heat pump installed, the work must be carried out by a trained professional. Our Aira Energy Experts ensure that safety regulations are met, as well as providing advice on location, maintanence and usage.

Work with Aira

Aira is a new type of home energy company. We’re on a mission to bring clean energy tech to every home. With our breakthrough tech we’re tackling the single biggest source of CO2 emissions: residential heating.

You can apply for our technical and HQ roles and learn about the Aira Academy here.

We are hiring for a number of opportunities, ranging from installer and technical support roles to sales, marketing and administrative roles. You can find more about our live opportunities here.

WHY AIRA?Clean energy revolutionWhat makes Aira differentCosts & savings

Cookie PolicyPrivacy PolicyTerms & Conditions

United Kingdom (English)

Facebook logotypeLinkedIn logotypeInstagram logotypeYouTube logotype

©2023 Aira. All rights reserved.️